To the right, is an image of the
family tree which begins with
Zacharias OPPENHEIMER in
1827 and goes up to 1885.
David E. OPPENHEIMER
DEOPPY at aol.com
has a 8x10" color negative of this
If you are interested in a beautiful 24x26"
reproduction. Please contact him. If enough people are interested
the cost will be around $65. (Phone: 561-392-8742,
Mail: 2707 N. Ocean Blvd, Boca Raton, FL 33431.)
(b. 23 April 1830 Michelfeld, d. 6 December 1918 New York City)
married (21 March 1852 New York City) Gudel (Julia) DINKELSPIEL
(b. 19 February 1827 Michelfeld, d. 14 July 1866 New York City).
Gudel is the niece of Rebecka HERZOGand the great great aunt of Helen NESTOR
Hnestor at aol.com.
Edward OPPENHEIMER remarried (5 May 1867)
Matilde (Mary) LEVINTAS (b. 28 July 1845
Edward came to the US from Michelfeld via Stuttgart
where he picked up
crystals which he peddled in New England after he arrived in New York City.
The story goes that because of his honesty candor, he did very well and
developed the confidence of the tradespeople and jewelers. They would mention
that so-in-so was going to get married and could he get a stone or diamond
ring for them? He developed contacts in New York and Europe and eventually
created a very successful diamond importing business. When his three boys
matured he turned the business over to them however, they did not get along
Edward patented an interesting
(patent number 52591)
Edward and Gudel had eight children:
- Sigmund (Siegward) OPPENHEIMER (b. 14 March 1853 New York City, d. 7 February 1876
New York City)
- David Edward OPPENHEIMER (b. 9 April 1854 New York City, d. 30 December 1846 New York.)
(This date is inconsistent and should probably be corrected to 1946.)
married (7 April 1881) Mathilde DAVIDSON
(b. 22 July 1860 New York City, d. 22 May 1922 New York City)
daughter of Julie WINKLER (b. 28 Feb. 1831 Schnaittach, d. 21 July 1878 New York)
and Seligmann (Simon) DAVIDSON (b. 20 May 1822 Schnaittach, d. 9 Jan. 1893 New York).
David OPPENHEIMER left the family diamond importing business and went into real estate,
where he did very well.
See Tuchmann Stammbaum
(Table T II B)
- Flora OPPENHEIMER (b. 2 March 1882) married
Julius BLOCH (b. 29 January 1877 Buhl, Germany)
- Fred BLOCH (b. 31 May 1908 Pforzheim,
d. 17 Dec. 1989 Milford CT) married
Barbara BURROWS. Divorced. Fred BLOCH started Eldorado Tool, Inc.
and built it into a largecorporation. Gundrilling was their specialty
and they built and designed machines to use the drills they created.
It began in a 2 car garage. Fred went around to local businesses
asking them if they had any problems he could solve. Pratt and Whitney
said their engines were falling off airplanes because the bolts were
shearing off because the holes had scoring and metal pieces in them
that cracked the bolts. Fred created a style of drilling holes with a
totally new drill design that is 3/4 round with a cutting tip, a
channel for the chips to travel out, and oil for cooling and pushing
out the chips. He was then able to produce a perfect hole. Fred was an
inventor and a savvy problem solver.
- Elizabeth Debra BLOCH
starfire7 at swfla.rr.com,
lives in Naples, Florida where she owns Sailing Adventures,
a charter sailing business, and also teach workshops in the
- Jeffrey Edward BLOCH
jeff at ccs2001.com. married Marisa
PERILLO. They live in Fairfield, CT. Jeff is both a police
officer and custom business software designer. Children: Matthew
BLOCH, Heather BLOCH, Nicholas BLOCH and Samantha BLOCH.
- Matilde BLOCH (b. 17 March 1910 Pforzheim)
married Ernst STERN. Mathilde
(d. 4 Sep. 2009) was a
custom dressmaker and designer in South Africa having a very dramatic
story about her leaving Germany and being forced out of Germany then
Spain (by Franco).
- Carlos STERN married
- Barbara STERN married Henry GARRIS.
- Pauline GARRIS married (17 Sep. 2000)
pauline at New York City.rr.com.
Children: Julian BROWN (b. 22 June 2001),
Arianna BROWN (b. 7 Sep. 2004)
- Leslie GARRIS
- Michael GARRIS married (30 Sep. 2007) Anne WARREN
- David GARRIS
- Edward BLOCH (b. 1 May 1911 Pforzheim)
(d. 7 October 1996 Coral Springs, FL)
Margot Dora ESSLINGER
(b. 16 May 1914 Stuttgart,
d. 17 July 1995 Bay Harbor Island, Florida). Worked at Eldorado Tool with
his brother Fred BLOCH. Ran the financial end of the
- Eric Fred BLOCH (b. 19 January 1937 London, England)
Eric at Bloch.com
married Civianne RUBIN
(b. 1 January 1937 New Haven, CT)
- Nadine Joy BLOCH (b. 8 July 1961 New Haven, CT)
Daughter: Margot Rose BLOCH (b.
2 July 2000 Rockville, Maryland)
- Joanne BLOCH (b. 3 October 1963 New Haven, CT)
married (18 December 1984 Jerusalem, IL)
Shmuel (Sergio) KAFFE (b. 24 December 1958 Santiago, Chile).
- Binyamin Tzvi KAFFE (b. 12 December 1985 Jerusalem, IL)
- Yoel David KAFFE (b. 19 May 1987 Jerusalem, IL)
- Shoshanah Gittle KAFFE (b. 20 September 1989 Jerusalem, IL)
- Jonathan Craig BLOCH (b. 2 April 1967 New Haven, CT)
- Andrew Elliot BLOCH (b. 1 June 1969 New Haven, CT)
- Edgar D. OPPENHEIMER (b. 10 May 1883, d. 29 April 1946) married
Carolyne WEIL (b. 11 April 1891).
High regarded orthopedic surgeon
who was Chief at Beth Israel Hospital in New York
among other appointments.
- David Edgar OPPENHEIMER DEOPPY at aol.com
(b. 23 January 1922 NY)
Went to Horace Mann School, Brown University,
served as an officer on the destroyer
DeHaven during World War 2. Married.
On 8 May 1969, David EDGAR married
Eleanor Gunst BARNET (b. 16 May 1919).
(She has two sons from previous marriage,
Henry B. BARNET, III and Thomas G. BARNET.)
David A. OPPENHEIMER
(nicknamed Mig, short for Miguel) married
Margaret EGGLETON and divorced.
Have a daughter. Mig lives in Fairfax.
VA and is a computer guru.
Elise FOUGHT (also computer guru)
- son, details omitted.
- Edgar OPPENHEIMER (twin b. 4 April 1925 NY) married
- Frank OPPENHEIMER (twin b. 4 August 1925 NY) married
- Gertrude Mathilde OPPENHEIMER (b. 28 September 1889 NY)
- Emily (Milie) OPPENHEIMER (b. 7 May 1855 New York City, d. 1 April 1857 NY)
- Rosa (Rose) OPPENHEIMER (b. 2 June 1856 New York City, d. 21 March 1859
New York City)
- Selina OPPENHEIMER (b. 17 August 1858 New York City, d. 27 December 1872
New York City)
- Flora OPPENHEIMER (b. 10 October 1860 New York City, d. 10 October 1938)
married (22 June 1879) Edward HIRSCH (b. 12 May 1846 New York City).
Children: Elsie HIRSCH (b. 21 March 1884),
Lili HIRSCH (b. 30 March 1887)
- Henry Edward OPPENHEIMER (b. 27 January 1863 New York City, d. 24 July 1941
New York City)
married (26 January 1888) Lena DAVIDSON
(b. 4 December 1865 New York City, d. 5 August 1925 New York City).
Ran the family diamond business after his brothers David Edward and
Milton left. Renamed the business H.E.O.
- Julie Adelaide OPPENHEIMER (b. 28 November 1888 New York City, d. 10 November 1965
New York City)
married (12 May 1910) Albert Julius LEVINE
(b. 7 May 1881 New York City, d. 19 February 1936 New York City)
- John Henry LEVINE (b. 21 June 1911 New York City) married
(27 October 1966) Flora APELIAN
- Albert Julius LEVINE, Jr. (b. 12 June 1914 New York City, d. 10 August 1981 Snowflake, AZ)
married (12 May 1939) Louise Willis (b. 14 September 1919)
Children: John Willis LEVINE (b. 25 December 1949),
Charles Willis LEVINE (b. 1961)
- Edward Albert LEVINE (changed family name to LAWRENCE)
(b. 9 March 1919 New York City) married (21 May 1949) Laurene (Lee)
(b. 2 January 1923).
Edward remarried (1991) Leanore KOROBKIN
- Pamela LEVINE/LAWRENECE (b. 1 June 1953)
- Leslie Anne LEVINE/LAWRENCE (b. 29 December 1955)
- Matilde OPPENHEIMER (b. 15 December 1895 New York City, d. 5 January 1896)
- Henry Edward OPPENHEIMER (changed family name to OGDEN)
(b. 11 December 1897 New York City) married (1 November 1920)
Bertha HIRSCHBERG (b. 14 December 1900 New York)
- Jane OPPENHEIMER/OGDEN (b. 13 May 1922 New York) married
Edward L. FABIAN (b. 1 October 1920).
Children: Barbara FABIAN,
John Orden FABIAN
- Henry Charles OPPENHEIMER/OGDEN (b. 8 November 1923 N.Y.)
married Thelma VENEGAS (b. 26
- Edward DAVIDSON OPPENHEIMER (b. 16 June 1901 New York City, d. 7 November 1977)
married (18 September 1929)
Marjorie ETTINGER (b. 14 December 1906).
Took over family diamond business from his father.
- Milton Edward OPPENHEIMER (changed family name to OPTON)
(b. 5 February 1866 New York City, d. 11 May 1944) married (28 December 1898) Harriet
ROSENBERG (b. after 1870 New York City).
Milton E. OPTON and Harriet ROSENBERG had two children.
- Marian OPTON born Marion E. OPPENHEIMER,
(b. April 10, 1907, d. 12 May 2007). She married
NAUMBERG (d.). They had no children. Frank NAUMBERG had a son
who was adopted during the lifetime of his first wife. Marian lived in Manhattan.
- Edward Milton OPTON, (b. May 15, 1909, d. 17 Dec. 2008). Lived in Stratford,
Connecticut. He married Carolyn Elizabeth BROWN, now deceased. They had
- Edward Milton OPTON, Jr.,
(edward.opton at ucop.edu or
born June 12, 1936, lives in Berkeley,
California. He married Gene Shunk in 1964; they divorced about 1972 and
had no children. He married Sumiko Morinaga on September 13, 1990. She
has two children by her previous marriage, Mark and Michael OKIMOTO.
Edward is University Council for the University of California in Oakland.
Thanks to Edward for information about this branch of the family.
- David Bruce OPTON, born April 10, 1938, lives in Weston, Connecticut.
David married Bette STEINMULLER sister of
David and Bette had three children
David B. OPTON and Bette STEINMULLER divorced. David later married Mary
Ann RUBIN; they do not have children. She had a daughter, Deborah, now
deceased, from a previous marriage.
- Kathryne Ellen OPTON-FOX email@example.com
(b. Watertown, Massachusettes).
Divorced. No children. Living in Gainesville, Florida.
Kathryne will be married (4 July 2010) to
Scott E. FOX.
- Richard OPTON of Jupiter, Florida. Divorced.
Remarried Vikki CONILL firstname.lastname@example.org .
They live in Jupiter, Florida.
Son: Connor David OPTON (b. 5 Nov 2006).
- Daniel OPTON email@example.com
who lives near Burlington, Vermont.
Daniel married Kate DODGE on August 29, 1998.
Children: Maxwell James OPTON and Ruby Frances
- James D. OPTON, Jdrtp2 at aol.com (b. 9 August 1945 Raleigh, NC).
Married Maryann Luddy.
Jim and Maryann divorced.
Jim married Carmen MEARES. They divorced.
Now happily married to Susan Gale POPE.
Susan has a daughter Laura MARSHBURNE (b. 19 December 1974) by a previous marriage.
- James Jeffrey OPTON (b. 10 January 1973 Hamden, CT), not married
- Carolyn Rand OPTON (b. 27 December 1975 New Haven, CT), not married
Daniel E. LOEB, eMail: